Saturday, May 30, 2015

Why I left...

I left my position as a special ed teacher dealing with emotional impaired kids...a job that I absolutely loved and totally miss...it has been a very rough couple of weeks since, but I had no choice.  I was in an environment that focused on exclusion rather than inclusion...not in the traditional sense, but rather more dependent on punishment rather than understanding.

I know my kids were tough, but honestly, that is what made them so much fun to work with...there was no cutting corners or getting by, they demanded the best from me and I always tried my best to meet their expectations.  I never missed a day, unless I had some sort of professional development, simply because I always looked forward to working with them.  Right now, one is in jail, another may be on his way, the rest either don't show at all, or rarely, and their education suffers.

I truly had no choice because I know myself and I know the environment I was in was bad for me...I am a collaborator and a fixer, and I love learning.  I didn't fix my kids, they did that themselves, but I did create an environment of honesty, truthfulness and self-responsibility that promoted positive educative outcomes....they responded...but I am saddened everyday to not see their faces and learn with them...The are tough and they push every button they can, but in the end, they are all great kids!

I miss them...

No comments:

Post a Comment